I enjoy baking quick breads–they're so easy to make. I thought it would be nice to try a fruity–flavored kind of bread made with jam, so I experimented and came up with this recipe. It makes two 8 x 4" loaves–one for you and one to give away or put in the freezer (it never hurts to have extra)!
This Raspberry Almond Jam Bread has a lightly sweet raspberry-almond flavor. The almond glaze on top really makes it delicious! And to make it look even more special, add some fresh raspberries on top! Serve it for breakfast, brunch, tea, or dessert.
RASPBERRY ALMOND JAM BREAD by Cottage Flavor
Makes two 8 x 4" loaves
- 3 cups all-purpose unbleached flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure almond extract
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup seedless Red Raspberry Jam
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup almonds, coarsely chopped
- Almond Glaze (see recipe below)
- Additional sliced almonds, for garnish
Preheat oven to 350˚F. Grease and flour two 8 x 4" loaf pans.
In medium bowl, combine flour, salt, cream of tartar, and baking soda; set aside.
In large bowl, cream sugar, butter, and almond extract until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
In small bowl, stir together jam and buttermilk. Add to creamed mixture in large bowl alternately with the dry ingredients, mixing just until blended. Fold in chopped almonds and blend evenly into the batter.
Spoon batter into prepared loaf pans and bake at 350˚F for 45 to 50 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan for 15 minutes, then remove and cool completely on wire rack. After cooling the loaves, add the Almond Glaze...
- 1 1/2 cups confectioner (powdered) sugar
- 3 Tablespoons Half and Half (light cream), depending on desired consistency
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 Tablespoon chopped or sliced almonds for garnish, optional
In medium bowl, add all ingredients and blend together well, until smooth and creamy. Drizzle glaze over both loaves and sprinkle lightly with sliced or chopped almonds if desired; add some fresh raspberries on top, too, if desired. Let glaze set before serving.
- Fresh raspberries for garnish, optional
I enjoy baking with all kinds of berries. What types of desserts do you like to make with berries?