During the summer months I enjoy using fresh, red ripe tomatoes in my meals. And salads are the perfect thing to make during the hot weather. This is a wonderful summer salad I discovered at Food Network. The tomato-cucumber-red onion combination is so delicious! The sweetness of the ripe tomatoes and fresh crunch of the cucumber is enhanced by the savory red onion and olive oil-vinegar dressing. So simple and yet so good! I changed up the original recipe slightly by adding a bit more red onion slices and an extra splash of red wine vinegar and thought it was wonderful!
TOMATO, ONION, AND CUCUMBER SALAD by Cottage Flavor, adapted from Foodnetwork
Makes 4 servings
- 5 medium plum tomatoes, halved lengthwise, seeded, and thinly sliced
- 1/3 red onion, peeled, halved lengthwise, and thinly sliced
- 1 cucumber, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 2 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 splashes of red wine vinegar
- coarse salt and black pepper, to taste
Let salad stand about 20 minutes. Re-toss ingredients and serve with crusty bread for mopping up juices and oil.
Have you been using fresh tomatoes in your recipes much this summer?