There's nothing like being warmed up on a cool day with a delicious bowl of steaming soup. I especially like potato soup, and this particular recipe is so nice and creamy-a smooth, savory blend of potatoes, onion, leeks, and celery. Top it off with some shredded cheddar, bacon bits, and chives, and you have a wonderful meal!
CREAMY IRISH POTATO SOUP by Cottage Flavor, slightly adapted from myrecipes.com
Makes about 11 cups
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 3 leeks, thinly sliced (just slice the bottom white part)
- 6 medium or 3 large baking potatoes, scrubbed and peeled or unpeeled (about 3 lbs.), cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 stalk celery, thinly sliced
- 3 (14.5-ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Optional Toppings: shredded Cheddar Cheese, cooked and crumbled bacon or purchased bacon bits, chopped fresh chives
Process soup in batches in a blender until smooth, stopping to scrape down the sides; return to saucepan and cook over medium heat until thoroughly heated. Serve with desired toppings.